464 - M. Saurí, J. Matas
A reference urban guide. Saurí y Matas’ guide de Barcelona, published for the first time in 1849, is not the oldest but is the most important of the mid 19th century, the main source of historic data about the city. On a smaller scale than the drawing of Mas y Vila (factsheet nº 458), the plan included in the publication represents an updated version of the urban morphology; some authors however have detected certain mistakes.
The reproduction is interesting as emblematic buildings can be made out, mainly those of a religious nature, which include the convents which had not been affected by the expropriation, for example that of Santa María de Junqueras, at the height of the current Plaza de Urquinaona. Military buildings such as the barracks, dockyards and the most important constructions of the Pla de Palau also stand out. This square appears totally urbanised, with new blocks of houses occupied by the Porches de Xifré, the Collaso house and other buildings, as well as the new Puerta del Mar and the Paseo de Isabel II.
The appearance of the railway. The new Paseo de la Barceloneta of 1838, parallel to the coast, connected to the Paseo del Cementerio, urbanised in 1836. However, without any doubt the most novel element of the plan are the two railway stations, the first corresponding to the Mataró line of 1848, and the other planned two which would soon become realities as the Estación de Norte in Granollers, alongside that mentioned of Mataró, and the Martorell one, situated parallel to the beginning of Paseo de Gracia.
Throughout the forties the markets of Santa Caterina and la Boquería were built as well as the continuation of the transversal axis that, on completion of the stretch of the street Jaume I, already reached as far as the Plaza del Ángel.
Industrial concentration in Rabal. The urbanisation has been practically completed in the area of Rabal. The district shown by the plan is the result of partial projects that had been building up the land through the hands of private promoters to dedicate them to housing for lower classes and textile factories. The process started in the third part of the 18th century and did not finish until practically the middle of the 19th. In this urban scene the grouping of the San Pablo hospital stands out ,, as well as the features of the Casa de la Misericordia and the Casa de la Caridad ,, two charity buildings above the street calle del Carmen.